My Magic Plus Information - Or, What's With Disney's new Technology?
What is FastPass Plus? (Often called FastPass+ or just FP+)
FastPass Plus – is a new service at Walt Disney World which allows those who have valid tickets linked in to their My Disney Experience account to make FastPass+ reservations ahead of time. You are currently allowed to make three FP+ selections at one theme park per day.
- Those staying at Disney World Resort (Including Swan, Dolphin, and Shades of Green) may do so 60 days in advance
- All others (Passholders,Day Guests, etc.) may do so 30 days in advance
How To Do It?
- Make your Disney resort reservation. Military Disney Tips recommends that you use our favorite Fee Free Travel Agent, Ears of Experience to do so. You’ll provide the names of everyone in the party. This step is optional but needed if you want 60 day vs 30 day advance FP+ reservations.
- Create a My Disney Experience Account (if you don’t have one click here).
- Link your Disney resort reservation to your MDE Account using the conformation number (you will then see everyone on your reservation in your account). This step N/A for non-Disney resort guests.
- Personalize Your Magic Bands in MDE, you may select the color and edit the name printed on each before they are mailed to you. This step N/A for non-Disney resort guests.
- Purchase your Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets at your local base Ticket Office or by Phone and FedEx.
- Link your Salute Tickets in your MDE Account to each individual person (mark each ticket with the person’s name).
- Make your FP+ Selections, individually (if you’ll split up) or as a group 60 or 30 days out.
- Upon Arrival, check in to your Disney Resort Hotel, they will activate your bands to be your room key, charging (if desired) , and resort access (pool, parking). Again only for Disney resort guess
- Upon arrival, activate your Salute Tickets, here is how.
- You are now all set. Enjoy your trip!
Expanded Linking Tickets in My Disney Experience Directions
Disney's RFID Technology
Disney has incorporated Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology into their theme park tickets and new Magic Bands.
What are RFID Tickets?
Walt Disney World switched to a new type of tickets, the plastic RFID ticket. This includes all types of tickets including the Disney Armed Forces Salute military tickets. RFID tickets will be issued to all guests that are not staying at a Disney Resort or not using Disney World's new Magic Bands.
These tickets have a small RFID transmitter inside which identifies each individual ticket to the WDW ticketing and FastPass+ systems. These tickets are held up to a scanner in order to be read. The old style tickets had a strip on the back and were read just like an ATM reads a debit card.
Disney switched to this new technology to allow a smoother guest experience. Disney uses these new tickets for several functions such as, the previously mentioned new ticketing system for the parks and as your token for the FastPass Plus system. The FP+ system allows guests to reserve times for popular attractions before ever leaving home.
No identifying information is stored on the ticket, it only transmits an ID number, the computer systems that it interacts with then look up the ID to determine the ticket’s status. All personal data is stored behind Disney’s firewall on their regular secure systems, not on the ticket itself.
What are Magic Bands?
Magic Bands are WDW's new all in one RFID "Key to the World."
If you are staying at a Disney World Resort your Magic Band acts as your room key, theme park ticket, room charge device, resort access (parking, pool, etc.), and FastPass Plus ticket. Your Bands will be provided to you for free by Disney via US mail.
After making your WDW Resort reservation and linking it to your My Disney Experience account, you'll be prompted to customize your bands in MDE.
You can select colors and have a name or short phrase printed on the back, this helps if more than one want the same color. You'll then confirm your shipping address and your bands will be mailed to you. If you make short notice reservations rather than mailing them to you, they will be at your hotel awaiting your check-in.
Those not staying with Disney can buy Magic Bands for 12.95 plus tax upon arrival at WDW at most Disney gift shops or online from the Disney Store.
You can then link them to your My Disney Experience account and use them for FastPass Plus and have you park ticket linked as well. Shades of Green guests fall in this category.
Magic Bands for Shades of Green Guests
What about My Disney Experience?
My Disney Experience – (MDE) is a new section of the Disney.com website. It is your area to manage all of your Disney vacation reservations and planning.
You will need a free Disney.com account to use My Disney Experience.
Reservations - MDE has the ability to:
- Make and store your Disney World Resort Reservations
- Make and store your Disney World Advance Dining Reservations
- Make and store your FastPass Plus Reservations
- Purchase general public priced Disney World tickets.
- Link and manage your Disney World tickets or passes to your MDE Account (this is required to use FP+)
- Link and manage your Disney World Magic Bands
- Link to your Disney PhotoPass Account
Planning – MDE has convenient links to all other parts of the Disney World site where you can:
- Find things to do – Learn about and explore Disney World
- Plan your vacation – Suggestions with links on things you’ll want to plan for each day of your vacation. Like FP+, Dining, Shows, and Character Greetings
- Once you link your tickets and reservations to your account, your Disney Resort hotel and dining reservations will appear in your plans. You’ll even be able to add your own reminder notes.
MDE App – there is even a MDE iPhone app with which you can do many of the same functions on the go.
Finger Prints and Pictures, oh my!
Disney uses 2 methods to identify multi-day ticket holders. This is to prevent ticket sharing. All Disney tickets are non-transferable. It also prevents a stolen ticket or band from being used.
At Disney World, as you enter a park for the first time you will place your finger on a scanner. The machine will store data points from your fingerprint, which it will then use on your return visits to ensure that it is actually you trying to use your ticket.
At Disneyland, a cast member will take your picture with an iPad usually on your second entry. This image is checked on your return visits.
Disney Ticket Safety - If you are using Disney's physical tickets (not bands) see this post for great info.
Disney’s PhotoPass and Memory Maker
PhotoPass and Memory Maker are Disney’s two programs with witch you can have Disney’s professional photographers document your Disney World Vacation. Read more...
2018 Disney's Military Discount on Magic Maker and PhotoPass+
You can leave Comments and Questions about this page on the General Comment Page.
Also see what others have asked. (please be specific as this comment page serves many topics)
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? See our:
Learn about the Disney Armed Forces Salute the best military discount that there is for Disney. For where to stay see our Resorts/Hotel Overview Page. Disney doesn’t discount dining for the military, but there are a few places on property that do, see the Dining Overview Page to learn where plus more dining info. You can also learn about Transportation Options. Be sure to check out our Technology Overview to learn about Magic Bands and My Disney Experience to see how they work with military tickets. Walt Disney World visitors might be interested in staying at Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort.
See: Top 8 Reasons to Use An Authorized Disney Vacation Planner
Do you want all of your Disney Planning information in one place, organized in a step-by-step logical manner with an emphasis on Military Discounts and offers? I've written 3 Guidebooks just for the Military Community:
Walt Disney World for Military Families 2020 - Available in Print, Kindle, and Digital PDF Download
The Essential Guide to Shades of Green - Available in Print, Kindle, and Digital PDF Download
Disneyland for Military Families - Available in Print, Kindle, and Digital PDF Download
Here are my recommendations for products and services I've reviewed that can improve your Disney planning. This is a short list since it only includes my top picks.
Ears of Experience - My recommended Travel Agent, Fee Free, Disney Only, Military Family Owned
Need a Little Extra Help Planning your Disney Vacation? Check Out Ears of Experience's Concierge Service
Military Disney Tips Negotiated Military Discounts
Orlando Shuttle Service - $15 off basic round trip pricing to ANY Orlando resort use MDT15
Amusement Park Rentals - 10% Military Discount on Strollers and Scooters Use 10MILITARY at checkout
EzPacking Cube Organization System, Tame Your Suitcase! - MDT Readers get 15% off with MILITARYDISNEY at checkout
Follow Military Disney Tips
Like our very active Facebook Page - Follow MDT on Pinterest
- Get Steve's Free newsletter