What did we do before Disney’s fabulous Armed Forces Salute?
Many newer members of the military have never experienced a time when Disney did not offer the Disney Armed Forces Salute, but prior to January 2009 there was no such thing (except for one similar offer during part of 2002).
Before the fairly new Salute Offers we had the Regularly Discounted Disney Tickets and we still do today.
There are many reasons why you might want or need to use these good old standbys. Read on to see why.
(Updated December 2019)
Regular Disney Military Discounted Tickets
While the Regular Disney Military Discount Tickets may be little known by newbies and long forgotten by many old heads, they are still available. These tickets are identical to the general public Disney Magic Your Way Tickets at Walt Disney World and Theme Park Admission Tickets at Disneyland Resort but at a reduced military rate.
How Much Do These Tickets Save?
The savings offered by these tickets are nowhere as good as those offered by the Armed Forces Salute tickets, which is why they are often forgotten.
These tickets will only save you anywhere from 4 to 8 percent off of what the general public pays at the Disney theme park gates for the same ticket. Your savings will vary depending on the number of days and options you select.
- Walt Disney World Magic Your Way Ticket Prices at Shades of Green (Base Ticket Office prices are similar)
- Disneyland Resort Ticket Prices (Typical Base Ticket Office price)
Why would You Want These Tickets?
They range in length from 1 to 10 days at Disney World and 1 to 5 days at Disneyland and they come with or without options (Park Hopping or Park Hopper Plus).
There are 2 types at Walt Disney World and 1 at Disneyland:
- Walt Disney World has the military priced Magic Your Way Tickets and the Shades of Green Star and Stripes Passes.
- Disneyland has the military priced admission tickets
There are several reasons why you might want or need to purchase these tickets.
- A One Day Disney Trip
- One-Day Military Discounted Disney Tickets are less than the Armed Forces Salute tickets. For two days or more the Salute tickets are cheaper.
- Longer Disney Trips
- For stays over 7 or 8 days, some types of these Military Discounted Disney Tickets can be cheaper than using back to back Armed Forces Salute Tickets.
- Large Parties
- Disney allows only 6 Armed Forces Salute Tickets per military member (with exceptions for larger immediate families). If you have a large party who are not all your dependents, then you’ll need to buy these to have enough tickets.
- Your allotment of Armed Forces Salute Tickets is used up
- There is a maximum of 6 Armed Forces Salute tickets allowed per military member during each individual Salute Offer’s timeframe. If you’ve used yours up for the specific offer in question the regular military discount tickets are your next best option.
- You want to go to the Disney parks on days the Armed Forces Salute tickets are Blocked Out.
- There are days on which the AFS tickets are not valid
- You You will not have a valid military ID when you go to Disney.
- If I Buy Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets While I’m a Military Member Can I Use Them After I Separate From the Military?
- My Military Sponsor Can No Longer Go To Disney, Can I Use The Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets They Already Purchased?
- I Don’t Have The Correct ID To Activate Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets
- Can I Give My Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets to Someone Else to Use?
Note In November 2018 Disney switched general public tickets to a date based general public pricing. This has not trickled down to Military tickets yet.
Where Can You Get These Tickets?
Not at Disney!
These tickets are not for sale at Walt Disney World or Disneyland ticket windows. You must buy them from a Military Reseller on a military installation.
Your Base Ticket Office – Most Bases have a Moral Welfare and Recreation Information Ticket and Travel Office which carry a variety of military discounted tickets, both for Disney and other venues.
Bases do not always carry a full complement of these Regular Military discounted Tickets. Because they might not have the type ticket you want in stock you should check at least 3 or 4 weeks prior to the date you want to have your tickets in hand so they can have time to order the kind you want if necessary. Note: Some bases may not be willing to order tickets…
Shades of Green – A full complement of Military Discounted Disney World Magic Your Way Tickets is available at Shades of Green, the military owned and operated resort on Walt Disney World property. If your base can’t get what you want, Shades will have it.
Shades of Green also has their special all-inclusive Stars and Stripes Passes for military members staying on Disney property. These are very similar to a WDW ticket with the Park Hopper Option. Shades of Green will sell you tickets long distance.
Camp Pendleton will sell you these tickets via phone and FedEx, they require 2 weeks advance notice to order!
Other Theme Parks
Base ITT Offices and Shades of Green also sell tickets for other theme parks like SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Universal Studios, and many other attractions. Definitely drop by your base ITT Office to find deals like these.
For More Info See Below
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? See our:
- Disney Veteran Discount and Disney Military Discount Eligibility Guide
Learn about the Disney Armed Forces Salute the best military discount that there is for Disney. For where to stay see our Resorts/Hotel Overview Page. Disney doesn’t discount dining for the military, but there are a few places on property that do, see the Dining Overview Page to learn where plus more dining info. You can also learn about Transportation Options. Be sure to check out our Technology Overview to learn about Magic Bands and My Disney Experience to see how they work with military tickets. Walt Disney World visitors might be interested in staying at Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort.
More Info On Military Disney Savings
Be sure to subscribe to my Newsletter to receive the latest information and content! Military members are eligible for Discounted Disney World Tickets plus great rates at the Shades of Green Resort (an Armed Forces Recreation Center) as well as other hotels both on and off Disney World property that offer military discounts. The Armed Forces Vacation Club also offers military discounted vacation rentals in the Orlando Florida – Disney area.
I created this site as a way to help others find out the latest information on ways military members can save on Disney vacations. I’m Steve and you can find out a little more about me on the about page. I’m dedicated to providing tips and advice for military members and their families on how to take advantage of all the great military discounts available on Walt Disney World vacations that are exclusively available to the military and DoD community.
This site offers great advice on how save money on, and enjoy your vacation at Walt Disney World! A great place to start exploring is on our page dedicated to Disney World Military Discounts, or our Shades of Green Resort page
Military Disney Tips is both a web site with loads of information, and a blog with up to date news on military discounts and other fun content.
To become familiar with the site you can start by checking out the areas below.
Shades of Green Info
SAVING ON YOUR DISNEY VACATION
There are two main ways to save on a Disney Vacation. Saving on your hotel/resort room and saving on Theme Park Tickets.
-Saving on rooms during your Disney vacation
Shades of Green Resort, a military owned resort located on Disney World property. A deluxe level hotel for moderate rates. Rates based upon rank.
There are currently lots of Packages available from Shades of Green.
Disney’s Armed Forces Salute room discounts. 30%-40% off Disney resort rooms.
The Disney World Swan and Dolphin military discount. These deluxe resorts are owned by Starwood Resorts and located on Disney property.
The Armed Forces Vacation Club. One-week resort condo rentals for around $50 per night.
Military Disney Tips Recommended Stroller Rentals (Military Discounts Offered)
-Saving on park tickets during your Disney vacation
This is the third year that Disney has offered the Armed Forces Salute, which includes steeply discounted theme park tickets for Disney World or Disneyland.
DISNEY’S ARMED FORCES SALUTE
You’ll notice above the the Armed Forces Slaute is mentioned for both ticket and room savings. It is by far the best deal going!
OTHER AREAS TO CHECK OUT
Military Disney Tips Recommended WDW Stroller Rentals (Military Discounts Offered)
Military Disney Tips Recommended WDW Scooter Rentals (Military Discounts Offered)
Military Disney Tips Recommended Airport Transportation (Military Discounts Offered)
My Recommended Disney Travel Agent:
Ears of Experience is a Fee Free Travel Agency they specialize only in Disney Vacations. Owned and operated by a military family! Amy knows all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts! There’s never an extra fee. Support Military Disney Tips by mentioning you heard about them here!