News for 2021 & 2022:
- No 2022 WDW Disney Armed Forces Salute So Far
- 2022 Disney Armed Forces Salute Timeline
- What to Expect on the Day Disney Announces the WDW 2022 Disney Armed Forces Salute
- Using Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets in 2021
- Using the Walt Disney World Theme Park Reservation System
Shades of Green, the Military Only Resort located on Walt Disney World property offers room discounts and room/meal discount packages.
In this review we’ll take a look at recent changes to the combo packages.
(Updated March 2020)
Note (Jul 2021) No discount packages that include dining have been offered yet for 2022!
A Little History
In 2009 Disney began offering the current string of Disney Armed Forces Salutes. Special offers for the military community on highly discounted Disney Theme Park Tickets and great discounts off of Disney Resort Rooms.
In 2010, Shades of Green began offering discounts as well in an effort to keep up. These discounts were very timid at first offering only VERY slight discounts on rooms and $5 off of theme park tickets.
In 2011 Shades began getting more aggressive with their discounts and offering various discounts for short terms through the year. These discounts were often from 20% to 40% and sometimes even 50% off of rooms, or rooms combined with various meal offerings.
Shades’ of Green’s Discounts Today
These days the discounts are usually only 10% or 15%.
Of particular note are the combo packages: the Sunrise Package that includes 2 adult buffet breakfasts in the Garden Gallery per day. And the Red White & Blue Package which include 2 breakfasts and dinners in the Garden Gallery In the past two adult meals were included with a package, you could at your option purchase additional breakfasts at the restaurant for others dining with you (usually your kids).
This worked well of families who have kids who are light eaters (or even an adult). Something cheep could be purchased a la carte from the menu for these people (or just coffee for an adult who doesn’t eat breakfast), while others in the party enjoyed the buffet.
But currently Shades requires you to purchase buffet meals as part of the package for the number of people that you say will be staying in the room. The price for each additional guest 12 and over is $14.30 per night and additional guests 5 to 11 are $8.15 per night (up from $11 & $5 in years past).
The $14.30 price per night for ages 12+ and 8.15 dollars for kids 5 – 11 is about a $1.22 savings off of the regular buffet price plus tip.
Shades of Green Current Discount Prices:
Sunrise Package – Full details and prices (Has not returned after covid shutdown)
Red White & Blue Package – Full details and prices (Has not returned after covid shutdown)
Dining Convenience and Desires
Throw into the mix your desire for a big buffet breakfast every day and the lack of convenience in doing so and these combo packages start to look a little less attractive.
Two things to consider when deciding on if these packages with meals are for you are their convenience and your dining desires.
- Do you want a big heavy breakfast every day? especially if you are heading out to theme parks with awesome snacking options?
- Do you want to pre-pay for a big buffet and only eat a light breakfast (loosing money)?
- Do you have plans for one or more Disney restaurant (potentially character) breakfasts which would cause you to loose the money for those meals at Shades?
- Do you want to get to the parks as quickly as possible in the morning? The Garden Gallery has waits for seating which are often long during peak breakfast hours.
- Is a quick Starbucks and pastry from the lobby Java Cafe or Express Cafe a better fit and value?
Pick Your Discount Wisely
MDT recommends that you always do your homework!
Price out all options available to you both from Shades of Green and from Disney using the Disney Armed Forces Salute room discounts. Be sure to include all extra costs that might be associated with each, such as extra for meals, parking, etc. Also consider room size and resort amenities.
You should check out our post: How Do Disney World Resorts Compare To Shades of Green In Price?
How about You?
What are your thoughts on the value of these Shades of Green Discount Packages?
Let us know in the comments below!
Information on Shades of Green the Military Hotel on Disney World property
A Special Note on Shades of Green Discounts: Something to be aware of is that Shades constantly changes the dates and discounts offered of their specials and packages. Shades of Green Links
- Shades of Green
- Military Members Review and Rate Shades of Green
- Shades of Green Rooms
- Shades of Green Room Rates
- Disney Tickets at Shades of Green
- Magic Bands for Shades of Green Guests
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused?
See Our Great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!