News for 2021 & 2022:
- Shades of Green Guests Eligible for Disney World Early Entry & Extended Evening Hours
- Shades of Green Resort at Walt Disney World Resumes Discounts for 2022
- Disneyland 2021 and 2022 Disney Armed Forces Salute Ticket Offer
- Disneyland 2021 Disney Armed Forces Salute Room Offer
- Using Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets in 2021
- 2022 Disney Armed Forces Salute Timeline
- Using the Walt Disney World Theme Park Reservation System
Big changes are coming this fall at Walt Disney World and Disneyland!
Yesterday evening Disney announced the expected release of the Disney Genie Service this fall for both Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort.
The Disney Genie will be an update to the WDW My Disney Experience and Disneyland smart phone apps, that replaces FastPass+ at Disney World and both FastPass and MaxPass at Disneyland.
Gone are the days of planning ahead!
Many will be pleased that the days of making your FastPass+ reservations 60 or 30 days ahead of time (which did not line up with dining reservation limits and currently theme park reservations) are over. Many complained about the lack of spontaneity that the old paper FastPass System allowed..
Disney Genie will be a totally Day Of system!
Disney Genie will offer 3 levels of service, 1 free and 2 paid. And staying at a Disney Resort Hotel will offer scheduling advantages.
How Disney Genie Works
The 3 levels of Disney Genie Service are:
- Disney Genie
- Disney Genie+
- Individual Attraction Selections
At the basic free level Disney Genie will help you through your theme park day.
Simply setup what you are interested in doing, by clicking on rides and attractions, Or if you’re not sure just general interests like Star Wars or Princesses.
Then as you tour the park Disney Genie will let you know the forecast best times to experience those things in order to have the shortest standby wait times.
Here are a few more features:
- Get Itinerary Updates from Morning to Night: Disney Genie will continue to update the Guest’s itinerary throughout your day, so they can be more spontaneous and go with the flow.
- Find Favorites at a Glance: Guests can create their very own personal tip board to instantly see their favorites. It will display current AND forecasted future wait times, helping Guests predict when they might experience quicker entry to attractions.
- Disney Genie brings existing planning features together in one place. Guests can join a virtual queue at certain attractions, make dining and experience reservations, mobile order food at many locations, get help from a virtual assistant and more.
Did your catch that? Virtual Queues are not going away, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will still have a virtual queue as will Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure!
The free Disney Genie service in the My Disney Experience app will “maximize your park time” via a personalized itinerary feature that will “quickly and seamlessly map out an entire day.” It will also offer forecasted wait times throughout the day and attraction suggestions, so you can save time in line.
The Plus level is the first paid level, offering a service just like the old paper FastPass System orDisneyland’s MaxPass.
Genie+ costs $15 per day per person at Walt Disney World and $20 per day per person at Disneyland.
When purchasing ahead you must purchase for all days of your stay, so for a family of 4 using 4-day Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets at Disney World it would be $240.
You may purchase single days as you enter the parks, but this eliminates the Disney Resort guest advantage (which we’ll get to in a sec).
Genie+ allows you to use the “Lightning Lane” (the old FastPass Lines) at a variety of attractions and experiences at a designated time. The way it works is Genie+ will show you an available 1 hour long time slots at the various attractions. After selection one you’ll do other things while waiting on your time slot to open. Once your slot opens you’ll experience the attraction by entering the Lightning Lane. Afterwords you’ll then be able to select your next attraction at which you’ll use the Lightning Lane. You can do this continuously all day long and multiple parks.
Attractions with virtual queues will be excluded from this part of the service from what we’ve heard.
Disney Genie+ will also include:
- Disney parks-themed audio experiences
- Photo features to capture your memories – augmented reality lenses for those visiting Walt Disney World Resort
- Unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads from your day if you are visiting Disneyland Resort (why it costs more at DLR)
I understand the audio experienced will be tour type trivia that you can play about your current location in the parks
Photo features from what I’ve seen are still and video character interactions with you in your pictures and selfies.
Guests can make their first selection at 7 a.m. the day of their visit at WDW and after entering a park at DLR.
Individual Attraction Selections
This is a pay to skip the line feature that Disney has said can be used to purchase scheduled times to arrive at two highly demanded attractions each day using the Lightning Lane entrance.
Guests can use this option without paying for the Genie+ Service.
Examples given are Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom Park and the upcoming Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure at EPCOT.
Disney indicated that attractions covered by this pay to skip the line feature will not be included in the regular Lightning Lane scheduling of Genie+.
This feature may be used a more than 1 park per day, which is good for Park Hoppers!
Pricing for this option will vary by date, attraction and park and has not been released yet. Disney said it will be announced closer to launch.
This announcement also seems to indicate that attractions with virtual queues (as Remy’s is mentioned) will sell excess time slots if the queues don’t fill up.
Guests staying at Select (We are assuming Deluxe) Walt Disney World Resorts can purchase Individual Attractions at 7 a.m. the day of their visit.
All other WDW guests can purchase after entering the parks.
Disneyland guests can purchase after entering the park.
When Will Disney Genie Roll Out?
Disney has only said “This Fall.”
I expect it will be in place for the 1 October 2021 50th Anniversary Celebration kickoff.
It could start that day or roll out sometime earlier in September.
Over to You
What do you think about this big change?
Let me know in the comments section just a little lower on this page!
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? Get Our Email Newsletter
Read about the Temporary Changes to Disney World during their Post-Lockdown Re-OpeningSee Our Great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!