Shades of Green, the Military Only Resort on Walt Disney World property sets their room rates by pay-grade.
Updated Sept. 2023 for FY 2025 rates.
You’ll find Shades of Green has reasonable room rates when compared to many of the Disney World Resorts and other hotels in the local area. Rates are based upon your pay grade or status, with junior members paying much less to help them afford a Disney vacation.
Shades of Green’s rates are constant all year long, except for various specials, which they run from time to time.
The Disney resorts on the other hand have numerous price seasons throughout the year as well as having their prices fluctuate based on the day of the week (Friday and Saturday nights are often more expensive). The price for a specific Disney resort room can vary anywhere from 1.4 to over 2 times the cheapest price for that room depending on the time of year.
|1 Oct. 2023 – 30 Sept. 2024|
|Room Rates||Category 1||Category 2||Category 3|
|Junior Family Suite||$434.00|
|1 Oct. 2024 – 30 Sept. 2025|
|Room Rates||Category 1||Category 2||Category 3|
|Junior Family Suite||$479.00|
Add $15.00 per additional adult, 18 years or older. For single occupancy, subtract $2.00 from the above rates.
Cancellation Fee: You may cancel up to 30 days before the start of your reservation without penalty. If you cancel within 30 days of your arrival, you will be charged one night’s stay, per reserved room. If you change your reservation dates within 30 days of your arrival, your deposit can be transferred, however, at that time it becomes non-refundable and cannot be transferred again.
All rooms include refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and in-room safe. Due to fire codes, any additional cooking appliances (such as microwaves) are not allowed in guest rooms.
Shades of Green’s Guest Room Ratings
Here’s how MDT Readers rate the rooms at Shades of Green on a 1 to 5, scale in our Shades of Green Surveys.
You will also see the following symbols after the numerical rating to indicate the most recent trend:
- Rating Increased is +
- Rating Decreased is –
- No Change is =
This symbol is then followed by how much the rating changed.
Overall Room Satisfaction – 4.55, =
Cleanliness of Room – 4.74, =
Room Size and Layout – 4.86,
Quietness of Room – 4.42, -0.01
Comfort of Beds and Pillows – 4.52, -0.01
All of these ratings have trended down for a couple years, there was a slight increase early in 2022, but the second half of the year brought a return to the down trend, this now continues into 2023.
See the Full Survey Post for all ratings plus guest comments in each category!
Category #1 – E-1 thru E-6 and Cadets (E-1 thru E-6 and Cadet sponsored rooms will receive the rate that applies to Category #2.).
Category #2 – E-7 thru E-9, O-1 thru O-3, WO-1 to CW-3, Widows, Medal of Honor Recipients, 100% Disabled Veterans and Category #1 sponsored guests, Category #2 sponsored guests.
Category #3 – O-4 thru O-10, CW-4, CW-5, Active and Retired DoD Civilians, Category #3 sponsored guests, Foreign Military assigned to a U.S. Military installation only, DoD Contractors assigned to a U.S. Military installation only. Veterans who are Purple Heart recipients, Veterans who are former prisoners of war, All Veterans with service-connected disabilities, Individuals approved and designated as the Primary Family Caregivers of eligible Veterans under the VA Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers.
As an eligible Shades of Green guest, you may sponsor up to three rooms. In addition, a dependent spouse can also sponsor up to three rooms provided the following conditions are met…
- You are a registered guest at Shades of Green
- You agree to be responsible for your guests
- You must accompany your guest at time of check-in. Sponsored guest will not be authorized to check-in without the sponsor being present
- Sponsored guest reservations must check in on the same day or after and must depart before or on the same day as your reservation
- You accompany your guests while purchasing attraction tickets
- Your guests must follow the rules of the resort
- Sponsored rooms of Category 1 guest will fall into the Category 2 rate
- Military sponsors should not reserve additional under their name for other eligible Military/DoD sponsors
Eligible Shades of Green guests have used this unique Sponsorship program to bring in-laws, grandparents, close family friends, and relatives to share in their vacation fun. This is especially helpful if you are planning an intimate wedding or family reunion to be held at Shades of Green. Family members get to enjoy their loved ones in a low-stress environment away from the pressures of daily life and maximize their time together.
Shades of Green increases prices for each new fiscal year. For most of its existence price increases were minimal from nothing to around 4 dollars a year. But starting in this decade increases have grown exponentially (I would say outrageously) to $15 to $20!
The suite prices have increased even more in recent years. They used to increase at the same rate as the standard and Pool View rooms, but recently have had huge increases. Over the last few years suites have increased from $45 to $100 per night!
These room price increases are in addition to multiple parking rate increases, which disproportionately shifted a larger portion of the resort’s profits to those who drive.
Shades of Green Price Increase History (standard and Pool View Rooms):
- FY25: $5-$20
- FY24: $10-$11
- FY23: $9-$20
- FY22: $15
- FY21: $15
- FY2o: $5
- FY19: $4
- FY18: $6
- FY17: $11
- FY16: $3
- FY15: $2
- FY14: $0
- FY13: $0
- FY12: $0
- FY11: $0
- FY10: $0
- FY09: $4
- FY08: $9
- FY07: $4
- FY06: $4
- FY05: $0
- FY04: $2
- FY03 #2: $1
- FY03: $3
- FY02: $0
Parking Fees – From 2002 to 2004 Shades of Green closed for a total remodel and the addition of a new wing plus a parking garage which was built where one of the 2 original parking lots was located. From the time it opened in 2004 until 2006, parking was free. Then in 2006 Shades of Green began charging guests to park in the parking structure. Price increases were minor and rare at first, but in recent years increases have become more frequent. Especially for a structure that was paid for at least a decade ago. MDT’s position is that it is unconscionable to charge those who drive extra in order to make budget, rather than adding a dollar or two to all rooms rates so that everyone shares the cost!
- June 2022 – $17
- November 2021 – $15
- January 2020 – $13
- July 2019 – $11
- February 2018 – $9
- January 2017 – $7
- April 2006 – $5
Reservations may be made 365 days in advance of the desired date.
- Room rates are subject to pay grade and party size verification upon check-in
- Upon check-in, a valid military I.D. or DoD I.D. and LES is required
- Sponsored guests must be accompanied by the Military DoD sponsor at check-in and throughout the stay
- Above rates are based on two adults occupying a standard/poolside room and four adults occupying the suites
- Maximum number of rooms per sponsor is 3
- Maximum occupancy of standard and poolside rooms is 5, Junior Suites is 6, and Suites is 8
- Military sponsors should not reserve additional rooms under their name for other eligible military/DOD sponsors
- Reservations are not transferable
- A room reserved with multiple sponsors will be reserved based on the highest-ranking person
- Pets are not permitted
- Shades of Green is a smoke-free resort.
Please note: As operating costs increase, guest room rates are subject to change without notice.
Cancellation and Modification of Reservations: Shades of Green has a 30-day change or cancellation policy. If you chose to change or cancel your reservations, you must contact Shades of Green at least 30 days prior to your arrival to avoid a forfeiture of your deposit. Only reservations made through on-line booking can be modified using online booking; if you have made your reservations via phone, please contact Shades of Green at (888) 593-2242 or fax (407) 824-3665.
- Shades of Green Discounts
- How does Shades of Green Compare to Disney in Price
- Military Members Rate Shades of Green
- Shades of Green Resort Overview Page
- Shades of Green Eligibility
This MDT Post By: Steve Bell
Steve is the the Military Disney Tips Founder. He a retired U.S. Military Member who's been touring the Disney Parks since 1971! Steve's mission is to help military families with their Disney vacations in every way. Check out Steve's Bio.
Subscribe to Steve's email newsletter to get website updates and news by clicking this link.
Information on Shades of Green the Military Hotel on Disney World property
A Special Note on Shades of Green Discounts: Something to be aware of is that Shades constantly changes the dates and discounts offered of their specials and packages. Shades of Green Links
- Shades of Green
- Military Members Review and Rate Shades of Green
- Why Stay at Shades of Green?
- Shades of Green Rooms
- Shades of Green Room Rates
- How to make reservations at Shades of Green
- Shades of Green Resort Activities and Amenities
- Disney Tickets at Shades of Green
- Magic Bands for Shades of Green Guests
- Shades of Green Fact Sheet and FAQ
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused?
See Our Great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!