Special Info for these Crazy Times:
- Park Hopping Returns to Walt Disney World Starting in 2021
- Walt Disney World Starting to Discount 2021
- Will There Be a 2021 Disney Armed Forces Salute Room Discount? When Will Disney Announce a 2021 Salute Room Discount?
- Our Return to Walt Disney World
- Planning and Executing Your Walt Disney World Vacation During These Trying Times
- Using the Walt Disney World Theme Park Reservation System
Disney has some pretty cool elevators in some of their Resort Hotels on both coasts.
You can find these Smart Elevators in the Paradise Pier Hotel at the Disneyland Resort and the new Grand Destino Tower at Walt Disney World’s Coronado Springs Resort.
These elevators vary from the regular sort in that you select the floor you’d like to go to when calling the elevator versus the old way of calling an elevator car by pushing the up or down button and then selecting a floor once you get in.
These are called Smart Elevators in the elevator business. Smart Elevators are faster, easier and even more energy efficient than the older type elevators.
Smart elevators handle passengers more efficiently making fewer stops per car thus saving energy as accelerating up from a stop uses the most energy.
In old school elevators everyone going up piles into one car and you might have lots of stops depending on where people are going.
Smart elevators assign from one to a few floors to a car and those are the only floors where it stops.
Enough of the techno stuff, let’s look at how you use them.
The most disconcerting thing thing about Smart Elevators is that there are no floor buttons inside. You can’t change your mind on what floor you want once you enter.
When using these Smart Elevators you push the button for the floor that you’d like to go to.
The panel then gives lets you know the number or letter of your elevator car (door) and where it is via an arrow.
Once the car arrives just get in. You’ll still see the door open and door close buttons as well as the emergency one, but as I said no floor buttons.
The car will indicate which floors it will be stopping on so you can gauge which stop is yours without looking.
If you realize you picked the wrong floor or change your mind, you’ll need to get of and start over.
We expect to find these new style Smart Elevators in Walt Disney World’s new Disney Vacation Club location, The Riviera Resort as well as other upcoming properties.
Over to you
Have you used the new Smart Elevators? What do you think? Let us know in the comments section below!
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? Get Our Email Newsletter
Read about the Temporary Changes to Disney World during their Post-Lockdown Re-OpeningSee Our Great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!