Special Info for these Crazy Times:
News for 2021:
- Planning and Executing Your Walt Disney World Vacation During These Trying Times
- 2021 Walt Disney World Armed Forces Salute Ticket Announcement
- Using Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets in 2021
- Using the Walt Disney World Theme Park Reservation System
- Park Hopping Returns to Walt Disney World Starting in 2021
Everything is Different at WDW since it Reopened. See Our Trip Reports:
- Our Return to Walt Disney World (Aug/Sep 2020)
- Our Second Trip Back to Walt Disney World (Nov 2020)
- Our Third Trip Back to Walt Disney World (Jan 2021)
January 2019 – This month for the second time in 2 years Shades of Green has raised its Parking Garage Rates for guests staying at the resort on Walt Disney World property.
New this time around is the introduction of a scheme charging those who are not staying at the resort who are just visiting an hourly rate.
Parking Fee History at Shades of Green
During its first decade of operation, Shades of Green had no parking fees. There were 2 parking lots on either side of the resort where guests parked for free.
In 2002 Shades of Green closed for renovation for almost 2 years. when the resort reopened in March 2004 it had a brand new parking garage. Starting at that time guests parking their cars in the garage were charged $5.00 per night.
The 5 dollar price remained the same until 2017 when it was raised to $7.00.
Now the price has been increased to 9.00.
New Parking Rates
For those staying at the resort:
- Self Parking is $9.00 per night
- Valet Parking is $14.00 per night
- Up to 2 hours free
- Over 2 hours 1 dollar per hour, starting at your original arrival time, (so a $3 minimum charge)
- Maximum daily charge and lost ticket fee $24.00
Note Shades of Green Bus Service to Disney World destinations is solely for guests staying at the resort. A resort ID is required.
Why is there a Parking Fee
Shades of Green, like all Armed Forces Recreation Centers operate solely on self generated funds at no expense to the government and taxpayers.
When Shades underwent the renovation 16 years ago private financing was obtained. One would assume the parking fee was to help pay back the cost of the garage.
But conservative calculations indicate that over 11 Million Dollars has been charged for parking to date!
The garage has long since been paid for!
How’d I get to that figure?
- The garage has 599 parking spaces
- 7 are reserved for rental cars (this was not always so)
- There are 5 parking levels
- On every trip I’ve ever taken the first 4 levels of the garage are always full
But to be more conservative let’s say the garage is always 3/4 full, not 4/5.
That’s 395 cars parking in the garage per day.
- 395 cars a day times $5 a day is $1,975, times 365 days is $720,875 a year, times 13 years is $9,371,375
- 395 cars a day times $7 a day is $2,765, times 365 days is $1,009,225 a year, times 2 years is $2,018,450
- Add the 2 and you get 11 million, three hundred and eighty-nine thousand, eight hundred and twenty-five dollars ($11,389,825) in parking fees since 2004
This does not take into account the increased income from Valet Parking at all.
Now with an additional 2 dollars per day increase (not counting in the new hourly fees) the garage will rake in an additional $288,350 per year or a total resort guest parking income of $1,297,575 per year!
This income is 100% profit and is on top of the profit made on room charges, dinning, drinks, catering, conference and event sales, yoga fees, weddings, and walkway paver sales.
Time for a change
I totally understand the resort is self funded.
But it is way past time to stop making those who drive pay an unequal share in funding the resort!
Do away with the parking fees and add a much smaller amount (a couple bucks) to room charges to equal the loss.
This way everyone who stays at the resort shares the cost of upkeep, rather than those who drive there being charged a bigger share!
What Say You?
Do you agree, or am I way off base?
Share your thoughts on this in the comments section below!
Information on Shades of Green the Military Hotel on Disney World property
A Special Note on Shades of Green Discounts: Something to be aware of is that Shades constantly changes the dates and discounts offered of their specials and packages. Shades of Green Links
- Shades of Green
- Military Members Review and Rate Shades of Green
- Shades of Green Rooms
- Shades of Green Room Rates
- Disney Tickets at Shades of Green
- Shades of Green Blog Tour
- Magic Bands for Shades of Green Guests
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? Get Our Email Newsletter
Read about the Temporary Changes to Disney World during their Post-Lockdown Re-OpeningSee Our Great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!