With less than 20 days to go until Disney’s much publicized Career Expos For Veterans, Disney has finally given out a little (very little) information.
Prior to 3 May 2012 the only information available on the Disney military job expos was from the links on this page which all still state: “Event details are still being confirmed. In the meantime, please search our site for any and all jobs you feel match your skills and qualifications, and apply online. Check back soon for more information.”
On 3 May Disney posted the following on their Disney Careers Facebook Page:
“As part of our new veterans’ initiative, Heroes Work Here, Disney will be holding career expos in California, New York and Florida later this month.
These events will provide the opportunity to meet and network with representatives throughout Disney, workshops on resume writing and interview tips, assistance from our community outreach partners, and more!
Click here: http://ow.ly/aF9ZY if you are interested in this event, and you could be invited to attend.” (Bold text mine)
The cloaked link leads to this page: http://heroesworkhere.disney.com/events/interest.php?
There are a couple of huge issues I have with this:
- In order to have seen this need to apply to be invited to the Career Expos you need to have a Facebook account. What Disney fails to realize is that many military members avoid creating Facebook accounts for security reasons.
- At three weeks or less from these job fairs those who had been planning to attend don’t even know if they will be allowed to participate. I’ve been planning to attend and have already made and paid for reservations at WDW.
- The fact that this is by invitation only leads me to believe that they are looking for only very specific skills, some not very well paying.
Once on the page some basic contact information is requested, name, email, City, State, location you’d like to attend, and if you’d applied on their site before. Then you’re requested to enter your previous military experience. The choices are:
- Civil Engineering
- Developmental Engineer
- Judge Advocate General (JAG)
- Junior Level NCO or Officer with Troop Leading Time
- Maritime / Navy
- Medical / Nursing
- Military Food Service
- Military Intelligence / Information Systems
- Military Recruitment / Personnel Operations
- Operations / Military Police or Law Enforcement
- Public Affairs
- Quartermaster / Operation Logistics
- Scientific Research Utilization Field
- Signal Branch and/or Information Systems
- Other/Not Listed
As you can see some of the pairings of fields seem a little odd. They mention junior NCOs and Officers but senior level experience is noticeably missing. Also you are only allowed to select one choice, I myself have quite a bit of experience in several of these categories. I selected Training, I hope that my selection makes the cut.
It looks like they are looking for cooks and people to drive the boats around their lakes and not any type of management.
Were you interested in going to these events? Did you already schedule time off work make travel plans, hotel reservations?
I’ll post as soon as I hear back as to whether I’ll be allowed to attend. If you to are planning to go to one of these Disney Military Career Events leave a comment below. Put the job category you selected. After you hear back let us know if they are going to allow you to attend.
After going to the site mentioned above and requesting an invitation I also applied for a job that I am very well qualified for on the Disney Jobs website. As of 5/13 I have not received an invitation to the events based on those actions.
I did reach out to Disney public relations on 5/10 and requested press access to the event which they kindly granted.
I have heard from quite a few readers who would like to attend the event but have not been invited!
Did you enjoy this post? If you’d like more like it, please share it through your favorite social media by clicking the buttons below to let me know.