Disney’s Armed Forces Salute is a fantastic discount available to military members. This discount includes both ticket and room discounts.
Here are the Top Ten Things that you need to know about discounts on rooms using this offer.
1. The Armed Forces Salute is a Temporary Offer
The Armed Forces Salute is a relatively recent innovation by the Walt Disney Company. The first version of the Salute was first offered in 2002 for a only part of the year, during the travel industry downturn after 9/11. It ended once people started traveling again in bigger numbers.
The Disney Armed Forces Salute returned again in January 2009 as the current economic downturn came into full swing and the general public reduced their vacation spending. The Salute offers have been running, on a year to year basis, since then with a couple of notable breaks.
So if you are considering a Disney vacation within the next couple of years keep in mind that we never know if the Salute will be renewed again or not.
The 2018 Salute offer was announced on 28 September 2017. It will start on 1 January 2018 and run through 19 December 2018.
2. What are the Room Discounts that are available with the Armed Forces Salute?
Disney offers the military community a fantastic percentage off of their regular room rates.
For 2017 the discount received depends on the resort category.
- Deluxe Resorts and Disney Vacation Club Properties receive 40% off
- Moderate Resorts and the Cabins at Fort Wilderness receive 35% off
- Value Resorts with the exception of the Little Mermaid rooms at Art of Animation receive 30% off
For 2018 the discount received depends on the resort category and dates.
For 2018 the discounts are on a sliding scale based upon availability. The less rooms available the lower the discount.
- Deluxe Resorts and Disney Vacation Club Properties receive UP To 40% off
- Moderate Resorts and the Cabins at Fort Wilderness receive UP To 35% off
- Value Resorts UP To 30% off
3. What Dates are the Armed Forces Salute Room Discounts available for?
As I mentioned above the 2018 Armed Forces Salute starts on 1 January 2018 and runs through 19 December 2018.
But, Disney has what they call blockout dates, dates on which these room discounts are not available.
At Walt Disney World these dates are:
- 25 March – 5 April 2018
At Disneyland these dates are:
- 23 March – 8 April 2018
4. The number of rooms allocated for the Armed Forces Salute offer is limited.
Many don’t realize that this offer is not an across the board, always available offer. There are a limited number of rooms at these prices, by date, resort choice, and room type.
The Disney Armed Forces Salute discount availability is based upon how many total rooms are still available by day, resort, and room type.
The cheaper the room category, the more rooms that are initially offered for the discount. The more expensive rooms generally only have very few available to start. Once all of the discounts that are allocated to a specific room category at an individual resort are used up, no more will be given.
As rooms fill up the discount becomes less and less until it is finally unavailable by day, resort, room type. For example on a specific date the Salute discount might not be available at all at the All-Star Movies, be available on all room types at the Coronado Springs, while at the Beach Club Resort the discount might only be available on concierge level rooms.
If only more expensive rooms are available, that means the discounts on the cheaper ones have already been used up.
If you are looking for a specific price range and the discount is not available for that type room at the Resort you were interested in, you’ll have to try a different resort, or shift your dates slightly to see if you have better luck.
5. You can reserve multiple rooms at a time.
You are allowed to reserve more than one room using the Disney Armed Forces Salute room discount.
- You may reserve 3 rooms at Walt Disney World
- You may reserve 2 rooms at Disneyland (5 person max in each)
The member or spouse must occupy one of the rooms. All rooms must be at the same resort and check in on the same day.
6. The Disney Armed Forces Salute is available at both U.S. Disney Resorts.
You can take advantage of this great discount on both coasts. The Disney Armed Forces Salute room discounts are available at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland.
Unfortunately the discount is not available at Disney’s Vero Beach and Hilton Head Island Resorts in the U.S. or any of the overseas locations.
7. You can use the Disney Armed Forces Salute Room Discounts an unlimited number of times.
There is no limit at all on the number of times that you can use the Disney Armed Forces Salute room discounts.
You can use the discount multiple times at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland throughout the offer period.
The Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets, however are limited to 6 total during the offer period.
8. You can add the Disney Dining Plan to your WDW room reservation.
A common misconception regarding this discount is that you can’t add the Disney Dining Plan to the military room rate.
This is because normally under full price conditions Disney requires that you have a room and ticket package to add the DDP. Armed Forces Salute reservations are what Disney calls a room only reservation because they expect you to buy the Salute tickets which have to be purchased separately. Some think that because there are no tickets associated with the room, that you can’t add the DDP. Not so!
Disney makes an exception for these military room only rates and allows you to add any paid Disney Dining Plan. The occasional Free Dining that WDW offers is excluded as you would be stacking discounts.
9. You will receive the same great Disney Benefits that those paying full price do.
You will be eligible for the exact same Disney benefits as if you’d paid full price.
Check out this list of amenities that you’ll receive when you stay in a Walt Disney World Resort:
- Free Disney provided roundtrip transportation to your resort from the Orlando International Airport (Disney’s Magical Express).
- Free transportation from your resort to all WDW destinations via Disney’s fleet of buses, boats, and monorails.
- Free theme park parking, should you decide to drive your car.
- Participation in Extra Magic Hours – early entry and late stays at designated parks on designated days. The general public is not allowed in during Extra Magic Hours.
- Property wide charging of your Disney purchases (Merchandise, Dining, etc.) to your room.
- Disney Merchandise delivery to your resort (from the theme parks or Disney Springs)
- Guaranteed theme park entry on high attendance days when the parks close due to nearing capacity
- Booking FastPass Plus reservations 60 days prior to check in
- The ability to add the various Disney Dining Plans to your vacation
- The ability to book Advance Dining Reservations for your entire trip (up to 10 days) at the 180 day mark.
And here is the list of amenities that you’ll receive when you stay in a Disneyland Hotel:
- Participation in Extra Magic Hour – One-hour early entry prior to the scheduled opening time on designated days to the Disneyland Park or California Adventure. The general public is not allowed in during the Extra Magic Hour so you’ll have much less competition for attractions. Disneyland – Tues, Thurs, Sat. California Adventure – Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun.
- Charging of your Disneyland purchases (Merchandise, Dining, etc.) to your room. Note: third party vendors like most restaurants at Downtown Disney are excluded.
- A Special Park Entrance – Use a convenient gateway to California Adventure through the Grand California Hotel and Spa.
- Disney Merchandise delivery to your resort (from the theme parks or Downtown Disney)
- Guaranteed theme park entry on high attendance days when the parks close due to nearing capacity
- The ability to book Preferred Access Dining Reservations between 60 and 2 days prior to check in.
10. Here’s how to make Disney Armed Forces Salute Room Reservations.
So now that you are excited and ready to get these great discounts for yourself, lets go over how to do it.
You can not make Disney Armed Forces Salute reservations online!
There are only 2 ways to get this great discount, call Disney directly yourself, or use a travel agent.
You can use these numbers to call Disney Reservations
- Walt Disney World (407) 939-1936
- Disneyland (714) 956-6425
Use a Travel Agent
I recommend using an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner (travel agent)! Doing so can take the stress out of planning a Walt Disney World or Disneyland vacation, which can be a complicated and overwhelming task.
You have probably seen elsewhere on the site that I recommend Ears of Experience as my preferred Authorized Disney Vacation Planners. They will do all the work for you and you’ll pay the same price as if you did it yourself.
So there you have it!
The ten top things that you need to know about Disney’s Armed Forces Salute Room Discounts.
Many of the above items are questions that I’m often asked via email and the ask a question page on this site.
If you have more questions consider buying my Disney Guide Book for Military Families, reading the full Disney Armed Forces Salute Information Page, the Disney Armed Forces Salute FAQ, or checking out our FAQ Friday Posts.
Are there any other questions that you have? Leave them in a comments section below!
- Also See: Top Ten Things You Need To Know About Disney’s Armed Forces Salute Military Discount Tickets
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? See our:
Learn about the Disney Armed Forces Salute the best military discount that there is for Disney. For where to stay see our Resorts/Hotel Overview Page. Disney doesn’t discount dining for the military, but there are a few places on property that do, see the Dining Overview Page to learn where plus more dining info. You can also learn about Transportation Options. Be sure to check out our Technology Overview to learn about Magic Bands and My Disney Experience to see how they work with military tickets. Walt Disney World visitors might be interested in staying at Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort.