I recently stayed at the Walt Disney World Swan Resort on Disney World property.
The Swan and Dolphin resorts both of which are operated by Starwood hotels are part of Disney’s Epcot Resort Area. Starwood members may earn or use points at these hotels.
These hotels offer a military discounted rate.
The Swan and Dolphin are categorized as Deluxe Disney Resorts and they offer military discounts on their rooms. It’s important to note that because they are not operated by Disney the Swan and Dolphin just like Shades of Green are not decorated with Disney Theming.
Swan and Dolphin Amenities
While the Swan and Dolphin hotels are not Disney Hotels they do offer some of the same benefits.
Disney World Amenities extended to Swan and Dolphin Guests
- Complimentary Disney World Transportation
- Extra Magic Hours
- Free Theme Park Parking
- Guaranteed Park Admission
- Package Delivery
One amenity not extended to Swan and Dolphin guests is charging privileges. By this I mean you can’t charge items from Disney locations (theme parks, merchandise, restaurants) to your room. This is a convenience that those staying at Disney resorts have. You can charge at internal Swan and Dolphin locations though.
Swan and Dolphin Description
The Swan and Dolphin are located in the Epcot resort area which is conveniently located between Epcot’s World Showcase and Disney Studios. You can take Disney’s free boat transportation to either theme park or choose to walk (the walk isn’t too bad). Transportation to other Disney World destinations is by the Disney bus system.
The Swan and Dolphin are large resorts. The Swan has 785 guest rooms and the Dolphin has 1509. The resorts were opened at Walt Disney World in 1989 and although the guest rooms have had a recent renovation our room felt like it was old. You could just tell the building was older.
The rooms are decorated in pastels and have very comfortable beds. The room offers a large flat screen TV, wireless internet, a mini fridge and coffee maker. The bathroom is split with a separate sink and mirror area. Unfortunately the lighting in this “vanity” area was awful, ant the bathroom wasn’t much better.
Other Swan and Dolphin Amenities
The Swan and Dolphin have many dining options available:
- Shula’s Steakhouse – Located on the Dolphin lobby level, reservations are accepted. Dinner only.
- Fresh Mediterranean Market – In the Dolphin – breakfast (buffet) and lunch (buffet), .
- BlueZoo – in the Dolphin is a seafood restaurant by Todd English – Late lunch and dinner.
- Dolphin Fountain – Burgers, ice cream, and shakes – Lunch and dinner.
- Picabu – In the Dolphin – Cafeteria service plus the hotels 24-hour convenience store.
- The Cabana Bar & Beach Club – Poolside dinning – Burgers and salads
- Garden Grove – In the Swan – Character breakfast buffet and standard lunch and dinner. The Garden Grove at the Swan offers a morning character breakfast buffet.
- Kimonos – In the Swan – Asian specialties and sushi.
- Il Mulino New York Trattoria, – In the Swan – Italian cuisine.
- Splash Grill – Located near the pool – hamburgers, hot dogs and snacks. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Room Service is available 24 hours a day. Breakfast, all-day dining and late night menus are available.
For more information on dining please see the Disney Food Blog
Swan and Dolphin Pool
The Swan and Dolphin share a pool and recreation area.
There are two beautiful pools plus a kiddy pool. The Grotto pool has water slides and a play area. Besides the pools there are hot tubs, volleyball (water and land) . You can even rent a swan shaped paddle boat to take a spin in. Tennis and Basketball are also available
Each resort has its own health club offering saunas, whirlpools and aerobics.
Overall staying at the Swan was a nice experience, but I don’t think that we’d do it again. We missed the Disney feel we’ve become used to staying at the other Disney resorts. The convenience of being close to Epcot was nice, we were there for the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, but there are other Disney resorts just as close which we love to stay at such as the Beach Club.
Check here for the Swan and Dolphin military discount cost breakdown.
Did you enjoy this post? If you’d like more like it, please share it through your favorite social media by clicking the buttons below to let me know.
|Are you planning a Disney World Vacation?
Are you considering staying at Shades of Green, WDW's military resort?
Are you concerned that you don’t know what to expect from Shades?
I have the solution for you!
Click here or on the image to the right to learn more.