Special Info for these Crazy Times:
News for 2021:
- Planning and Executing Your Walt Disney World Vacation During These Trying Times
- 2021 Walt Disney World Armed Forces Salute Ticket Announcement
- Using Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets in 2021
- Using the Walt Disney World Theme Park Reservation System
- Park Hopping Returns to Walt Disney World Starting in 2021
Everything is Different at WDW since it Reopened. See Our Trip Reports:
- Our Return to Walt Disney World (Aug/Sep 2020)
- Our Second Trip Back to Walt Disney World (Nov 2020)
- Our Third Trip Back to Walt Disney World (Jan 2021)
Disney’s theme parks have had Bag Checks as far back as I can remember (perhaps for the last 20 years). But since late 2015 metal detectors have been added to the security lineup.
On 17 December 2015, literally overnight, America’s theme parks all began using some form of metal detectors. This includes Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Universal’s theme parks, and SeaWorld Parks theme parks.
In this post we will go over just what to expect in regard to security checks at Walt Disney World and Disneyland, so that you’ll be prepared.
Updated January 2021
Upon re-opening after the 2020 shutdown Walt Disney World’s Security had made quite a few improvements in the name of social distancing, which actually improve the guest experience!
As you prepare to enter one of Disney’s theme parks you will go through a 100% bag check and metal detector check which is at times random and other times 100%.
Disney is checking for the following items, which may not be brought into Disney’s Parks:
- Recreational devices such as drones, remote control toys, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels
- Alcoholic beverages, marijuana or any illegal substance
- Strollers larger than 31″ wide and 52″ long or smaller and no Stroller Wagons!
- Suitcases, coolers or backpacks, with or without wheels, larger than 24″ long x 15″ wide x 18″ high
- No loose liquid ice or dry ice. Reusable ice packs are allowed
- Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an Electronic Conveyance Vehicle, wheelchair or stroller, or pulled by a person, including wagons
- Wheeled mobility devices with less than 3 wheels or devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered or unoccupied. Training wheels or similar modifications are not permitted. Devices must be manually or electrically powered and operated at a walking pace. Devices should be single rider and not exceed 36″ in width and 52″ in length
- Weapons of any kind, objects that appear to be weapons, or toy guns (also including toy blasters, squirt guns, etc.)
- Folding chairs
- Selfie sticks, hand-held extension poles for cameras or mobile devices
- Large tripods
- Glass containers (excluding small containers such as baby food jars)
- Pets or other animals, except approved service animals e.g., dogs and miniature horses. Service animals should remain on a leash or in a harness and under the control of the owner at all times. Due to the nature of some attractions, service animals may not be permitted to ride certain attractions
- Balloons and plastic straws are not permitted in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park for the safety of the animals
- Other items that they determine may be harmful or disruptive
The the above bold text is mine to emphasize the big things that they are looking for.
Security Check Locations
Walt Disney World
- For Disney’s Monorail Resort Guests – Prior to boarding the monorail at your resort
- For those arriving via Disney’s fleet of buses – Between the Magic Kingdom bus terminal and the entrance
- For those arriving by boat from Disney’s Magic Kingdom Resorts – After exiting the boat at the Magic Kingdom
- For those arriving via the Transportation and Ticket Center (parking lot and non-Disney Transpo) – Prior to boarding the monorail or ferry to the Magic Kingdom
- For those walking from Bay Lake Tower, or the Contemporary – On the path prior to arriving at the Magic Kingdom
- For those walking from the Grand Floridian, or the Polynesian – At the Magic Kingdom end of the path from the Resorts
- For those arriving via Buses (Disney and other) or the parking lot – At the front of the park prior to the ticket booths
- For those arriving via monorail from the Transportation and Ticket Center – The Epcot Monorail Station is outside of the security area. You will be screened at your resort or TTC checkpoint prior to boarding and then again to enter Epcot
- For those arriving via boat from the Epcot Deluxe Resorts or Hollywood Studios – At the International Gateway entrance
- For those walking from the Epcot Deluxe Resorts – At the International Gateway entrance
- For those arriving via the Disney Skyliner – At the International Gateway entrance
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- For all Guests – Prior to the entrance and ticket booths
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- For all Guests – Prior to the entrance and ticket booths
Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure
- On the east side of the Esplanade (central area between the parks)
- On the west side of Downtown Disney between DTD and the Disneyland Hotel
- Between the ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe buildings, for those in the closest parking lots
- At the entrance to Downtown Disney from the Grand Californian Hotel
- At the entrance to Disney California Adventure from the Grand Californian Hotel
- At the parking structure before boarding the tram
At the present time you will receive a temperature check prior to the security screening.
In mid 2020 Disney World did away with 100% bag checks. New scanners are employed that allow guests to walk through with their bags. Bag checks are only needed if the machine detects something.
Note: There are 3 things items that you may not carry through the scanner in your bags, those being metal bottles, aerosol cans, and umbrellas. Security hosts often have you hold them in your hand extended in front of you as you pass through the scanner.
We’ve also had reader reports that hard eyeglass cases and solar charger will set the machine off too, so best to hand carry those as well.
Once you are past the scanner you are good to go.
Disney reserves the right not to allow any bag, parcel or other item to be brought into the Parks, and to deal with any unattended object in a manner they consider appropriate.
A Word About Firearms
Firearms are not allowed on Disney property, even if you are a legal to concealed carry. This not only includes the theme parks, but all areas on property like Disney Springs and the Resort Hotels.
In the past Disney Resort Front Desks would store firearms, but no more. This ended several years ago.
Shades of Green will store firearms for their guests.
Over To You
Do you have any Security questions or tips? Let us know in the Comments Section below!
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? Get Our Email Newsletter
Read about the Temporary Changes to Disney World during their Post-Lockdown Re-OpeningSee Our Great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!