- Disney's US Parks and Cruise Line Closed! Plus DoD Travel Ban!
- When Will Disney's Theme Parks Reopen?
- Disney Armed Forces Salute Ticket Refunds
The Disney Theme Parks have a slew of great technologies to help out their Guests.
Technologies like My Disney Experience, FastPass Plus (FP+), RFID Technology, and Magic Bands.
The Military Disney Tips team just loves using all of these high tech features.
My Disney Experience
My Disney Experience – (MDE) is a section of the Disney.com website. It is your area to manage all of your Disney vacation reservations and planning. You will need a free Disney.com account to use this if you don’t already have one.
Reservations – MDE has the ability to:
- Make or link and store your Disney World Resort Reservations
- Make or link and store your Disney World Advance Dining Reservations
- Make and store your FastPass Plus Reservations
- Purchase general public full priced Disney World tickets.
- Link and manage your Disney World tickets or passes to your MDE Account (this is required to use FastPass+)
- Link and or manage your Disney World Magic Bands
- Link to your Disney PhotoPass Account
Planning – MDE has convenient links to all other parts of the Disney World site where you can:
- Find things to do – Learn about and explore Disney World
- Plan your vacation – Suggestions with links on things you’ll want to plan for each day of your vacation. Like FP+, Dining, Shows, and Character Greetings
Once you link your tickets and reservations to your account, your Disney Resort hotel and dining reservations appear in your plans. You’ll even be able to add your own reminder notes.
MDE App – there is even a MDE iPhone app with which you can do many of the same functions on the go.
FastPass Plus (FP+) – is a service which allows those visiting Walt Disney World’s theme parks who have valid tickets or passes linked in MDE to make FastPass reservations ahead of time. You are allowed to make three FP+ selections at one theme park per day ahead of time and then one-by-one after the initial 3 are used up.
RFID Technology and Magic Bands
Disney’s RFID Technology – Disney’s Magic Bands and plastic tickets have a small Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) transmitter inside which identifies each individual band or ticket to the WDW computer systems. When held up to a scanner the ID is read, the computer system in question then looks up what is stored against that ID. No info is stored on the band or ticket, that is all on Disney’s secure computers.
The single ID can be used by a multitude of different systems (Disney has just cracked the surface) to do almost anything. Right now they are being used for:
- Room Keys
- Theme park entrance
- FastPass+ entrance
- Charging purchases to your room
- PhotoPass tracking
- Resort parking lots access
- Resort pool access
- Memory Maker photos
- Disney’s Magical Express ticket
Our Disney Experience…
Our family has vacationed at Disney World during many times since this technology has been introduced. We usually stay at a Disney Resort using the fantastic Disney Armed Forces Salute and get from 30% to 40% off our room rate.
Pre-departure preparation – Once I make our resort reservation through Amy at Ears of Experience I link our reservation number in MDE.
After linking our reservation, MDE informs me that I can customize our Magic Bands. You can pick the color you’d like and add a short text note to the back side (usually your name) or you can opt for upgrades special design bands for a fee. There is a cutoff date by which you have to finish the customization, as your bands will be shipped to your home in time for your vacation. If you miss the cutoff you still have a window to do basic customization (pick colors) and your bands will be at your hotel at check in. If you are too late for any customization you will get generic gray bands at check in.
You will then need to link your theme park tickets if you’ve purchased them ahead (You’ll need to get them ahead for FastPasses). You may link all types of Military Discounted Tickets as well as annual passes.
60 Days Prior to Departure
On the 60th day prior to check in for Disney On Property Resort guests (and 30 days prior to the desired date of non-Disney guests) you can select your FP+ reservations. It is very easy.
Once you’ve selected yours, you can edit individual FP+ reservations for time or venue. You can also reschedule them on the fly (if you are running late) with the MDE smart phone app.
We love the Magic Bands.
Once on vacation they act as: your room keys, room charge cards, theme park tickets, FP+ return passes, and much more. You just hold you band near the sensor. Easy and fast!
Note: theme park entry also requires a fingerprint and charging to your room also requires the entry of a pin.
Specific Questions For The Military Traveler
When you buy your Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets at your Base Ticket Office the tickets they sell to you are what Disney calls Exchange Certificates. They are called this because they will be exchanged for the actual ticket you’ll use when you activate your tickets at WDW.
These come in 3 varieties:
- Plastic “Tickets” that look just like any other WDW ticket
- Paper “Tickets” (thin cardboard)
- An 8.5″ x 11″ Sheet of Paper with all names and ticket numbers on it
Whichever your base issues there will always be a ticket number and perhaps a UPC bar or QR code that you can use to link your tickets to your MDE account.
Note: Tickets sold by the Shades of Green Ticket Office are pre-activated
If you make your Disney resort reservation by any means other than directly with Disney (Yourself or your travel agent) you will need to link your resort reservation to your My Disney Experience account. This is what tells the system to allow you to make 60-day FastPasses. You’ll just type in your reservation number.
All Disney Resorts and other on property resorts (including Shades of Green) that offer 60-day fastPasses can be linked to MDE.
Have you tried this new Disney technology yet? Share your experience in the comments below!Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? See our:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility GuideThe Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!
Military Discounts for YouMilitary Discounted Scooters/ECVs Military Discouned Stroller Rentals Orlando Limo Service