For those who haven’t planned ahead Disney’s Parks offer a solution for your depleted devices.
With the advent of in-park WiFi and Disney smartphone apps like My Disney Experience that drain batteries quickly, recharging during your theme park days has become essential.
When your device is running low you can do one of the following:
- Have Planned Ahead and Brought Your Own Device Charger
- Make a Purchase From Disney’s FuelRod Stations
- Use the One Tech Charging Area in Disney’s Parks
- Stake out a section of floor near a wall plug
Update October 2021 – On our most recent trip to WDW, all FuelRod locations were inoperative due to a “Network Error or Update in progress” all afternoon! We went to all locations at Disney Springs after having tried a couple in Animal Kingdom.
So what about Disney’s FuelRod Stations?
For those who find their smart phone running low on juice in the theme parks, Disney has installed FuelRod stations at various locations in their theme parks.
For those who are not familiar, FuelRods and other charging devices are essentially a small portable battery pack, which when plugged into your phone or devise acts just like a wall plug or USB connection for charging.
The key selling point of the FuelRod brand is that after the initial purchase, you can return to any station and swap out your depleted FuelRod for a charged one free of charge.
Or you can recharge your FuelRod yourself and have it ready to use within a few hours. It will be fully charged within 6 hours.
Disney FuelRod kiosks dispense these portable charging batteries for $30.00 each, which includes:
Each FuelRod Includes:
- A ready to use FuelRod to power your devices.
- Adapters for both Android and Apple devices that are yours to keep, at no additional charge.
- The ability to be refueled (recharged) in any standard wall outlet.
- The ability to be swapped (traded) for a fully fueled unit for a small fee at any FuelRod SwapBox.
- The purchase is not a rental, the charging device will belong to guest after purchase.
The micro-USB/USB cable that comes with the FuelRod can be used to recharge it. Simply plug the smaller micro-USB tip into the FuelRod, and the larger USB tip into your computer or any USB charging port. The LED light will change from red to green when your FuelRod is fully charged.
FuelRod Vending Locations:
Walt Disney World
- Magic Kingdom
- Tomorrowland Light and Power Co.
- Big Top Souvenirs
- Pecos Bill’s
- Curtain Call Collectibles
- Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe
- Disney Traders
- International Gateway
- Future World Camera Center
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Celebrity 5 & 10
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Island Mercantile
- Disney Springs
- Marketplace Disney PhotoPass Studio
- ESPN Wide World of Sports
- ESPN Clubhouse Shop
- Sports Grill
- HP Field-House
- Most Walt Disney World Resorts
- Various Locations
- Disneyland Park:
- Main Street Locker Rental & Storage
- Starcade (near ATM)
- “it’s a small world” Toy Shop
- Hungry Bear Restaurant(lower level)
- Disney California Adventure Park:
- Kingswell Camera
- Treasures in Paradise
- Downtown Disney District:
- ESPN Zone
- Disneyland Hotel:
- Outside Business Center (Fantasy Tower)
- Paradise Pier Hotel:
- Hotel Lobby Area
You can purchase FuelRods ahead of time at WalMart.
Save $5 – You can buy your FuelRod ahead of time to save 5 dollars directly from fuel-rod.com, where you’ll pay $20 for the FuelRod and $5 shipping (US deliveries only).
Save $10 – You can buy your FuelRod from a dispenser just like at WDW as you pass through the Orlando International Airport, where you’ll pay $20. It’s located in Concourse A.
And now to discuss whether using the Disney Fuel Rod Stations is a good idea.
The only reason to use these FuelRod stations is if you totally forgot to plan ahead, are really in a power bind AND a time crunch. “
If you really need juice and can’t afford the time to sit around with your phone plugged in to charge at a wall socket, whether just a plug somewhere or the Magic Kingdom Charging Area, then buy one of these.
But, reports indicate that these particular battery packs have a comparatively low capacity to store power, compared to readily available alternatives on Amazon. FuelRod capacity has been tested to be 2,600 mAh.
Check out these alternatives on Amazon or search for your own:
|RETMSR Portable Charger – $37||
Ayeway Battery Pack USB C Portable Charger – $53
Anker Portable Charger, 313 Power Bank – $23
|Miady Dual USB Portable Charger- $20|
|30000 mAh Battery Pack with 22.5 W Fast Charging, 4 Outputs External Charger PD 20W USB C
One of The Smallest and Lightest 20000mAh Power BanksAvailable on Amazon
|10000mAh Battery Pack with PowerIQ Charging Technology and USB-C
20W Portable Charger with Dual inputs and 5 outputs
|25800mAh – Over 10 times the capacity of the FuelRod.
One of the slimmest and lightest 10,000mAh portable chargers on the market.
|10000 mAh – Over 3 times the capacity, charges 3 devices at once
2 Pack for $20.
On top of that Amazon Prime members get free shipping! Be sure to do an Amazon Prime Try Before You Buy trial!
How About You?
Do you find you need extra power while in the parks?
What do you use to recharge?
Are you pro FuelRod or pro purchasing your own ahead?
Let us know in the comments below!
Note: this post contains Amazon affiliate links, purchase will yield a small referral to MDT at no extra cost to you.
This MDT Post By: Steve Bell
Steve is the the Military Disney Tips Founder. He a retired U.S. Military Member who's been touring the Disney Parks since 1971! Steve's mission is to help military families with their Disney vacations in every way. Check out Steve's Bio.
Subscribe to Steve's email newsletter to get website updates and news by clicking this link.
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? See Our Great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!