News for 2021 & 2022:
- Shades of Green Guests Eligible for Disney World Early Entry & Extended Evening Hours
- Shades of Green Resort at Walt Disney World Resumes Discounts for 2022
- Disneyland 2021 and 2022 Disney Armed Forces Salute Ticket Offer
- Disneyland 2021 Disney Armed Forces Salute Room Offer
- Using Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets in 2021
- 2022 Disney Armed Forces Salute Timeline
- Using the Walt Disney World Theme Park Reservation System
Walt Disney was a proud American, who not only embraced, but exemplified the American Spirit of Exceptionalism.
This is evident still today with attractions like The Hall of Presidents and the American Adventure.
Visitors to Disney theme parks will notice that each park has a large flag pole proudly flying the American Flag.
The Magic Kingdom theme park holds a daily Flag Retreat Ceremony, which I highly recommend you watch if you can fit it into your touring plan. The ceremony is conducted by Disney Security cast members with an assist form a veteran touring the park that day, who is chosen at random.
While each theme park has a large flag at the entrance, nowhere is the American Flag more evident than on Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom.
The Magic Kingdom flag pole stands in the middle of Town Square and every building surrounding the square and on down Main Street is topped with many smaller flags. Standing on the second floor of the Main Street Train Station looking towards Cinderella Castle you’ll see the Red, White, and Blue on every building leading up the street. It’s a very moving sight for me!
US Flag Flies At Night?
As I mentioned there is a daily Retreat at 5 PM during which the large flag on Town Square is taken down for the night. But what about all the others?
The US Flag Code says:
“It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.”
The flags on the top of the Main Street buildings don’t have any special illumination so why would they be left up all night?
A Bit Of Trivia
Well here is a bit of Trivia for you, courtesy of the Keys to the Kingdom Tour which I took for the first time last November. The flags on the tops of the buildings, which are never taken down, are not American Flags. They do not have 50 stars (count them) only 45, so they are not officially American Flags!
The Other Parks
At the other WDW parks WDW Security lowers the flags without fanfare at the end of each day.
It was really nice to hear that Disney put such detailed thought into the proper and respectful display of our Nation’s Flag while still being able to have the American Spirit added to the show.
Patriotic Disney Series
I hope you enjoyed this post, it’s part of the Patriotic Disney Series, check out the rest!
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? Get Our Email Newsletter
Read about the Temporary Changes to Disney World during their Post-Lockdown Re-OpeningSee Our Great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!