Located right next to Orlando International Airport, the Orlando Tickets and Travel Office sells Military Discount Tickets for Orlando Theme Parks and Other Area Attractions.
Very few know that this MWR location is here in Orlando!
ITT Ticket Office
Navy MWR Orlando also maintains an ITT Ticket Office just inside the exchange entrance.
Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday – Closed
email: [email protected]
Text MWROrlando to 30364 for MWR Specials
GPS Address: 8717 Avenue C, Orlando, FL 32827
From WDW: take I-4 east toward Orlando exit 72 (528 Expressway), go to exit 9 (Tradeport Dr.), turn right onto Tradeport Dr. NEX 1 mile on the right.
From Orlando International Airport: Take 436 north for 2 miles, turn left at first light (Frontage Road), turn left at next light (Tradeport Dr.) NEX 1 mile on the right.
- MWR & Base Info / Community Info
- Travel/Vacation Packages
- Universal Studios
- SeaWorld Park Inc.
- Disney World
- Local Tickets / Promo Codes
- National Tickets / Print on Demand
Orlando used to be the home to two military bases, McCoy Air Force Base and Naval Training Center Orlando.
The Orlando International Airport began life as McCoy Air Force Base in the 40s. In 1962 McCoy AFB began sharing it’s runways with the new Orlando Jetport and then in 1975 McCoy closed down.
Naval Training Center Orlando was established in 1968 it served as a Basic Training base along with hosting other schools. The base closed in 1999.
When McCoy AFB closed NTC Orlando took over portions of the base west of the runways and redesignated it the NTC Orlando Annex. They operated an old small commissary on the site.
(See below for more history!)
Navy Exchange and Commissary
Today, while NTC Orlando is gone the Annex still remains and there is a beautiful, large, well maintained Navy Exchange with a very large grocery section as well as a Subway and the Travel and Ticket Office.
See this link for more pics of the Exchange and Commissary.
If you are renting a car at the airport, this is a great place to stop for supplies on your way to Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando!
There are even Disney and Orlando souvenir sections.
Have you used the Orlando Tickets and Travel Office? Let us know in the comments section below!
The Army in Orlando
In 1928 Orlando Municipal Airport (the current Orlando Executive Airport, 8 miles to the north of Orlando International) opened as the first commercial airport in Central Florida. The United States Army Air Corps took control of the airport in 1940 for use as a training facility and renamed it the Orlando Army Air Base.
As a result the current Orlando International Airport was built in 1940 as a replacement civilian airport after the Army’s takeover and conversion of Orlando Municipal Airport.But in 1942 this field was also taken over by the Army and designated Orlando Army Air Field #2. On 1 January 1943, it was renamed as Pinecastle Army Airfield.
Pinecastle AAF was closed and the entire site was transferred to the City of Orlando in 1947 with a reversal clause for future military use if deemed to be necessary for national defense purposes.
On 1 September 1951 the Air Force reactivated Pinecastle Army Air Field and renamed it Pinecastle Air Force Base. Then on 7 May 1958, Pinecastle AFB was renamed McCoy Air Force Base in memory of the late Colonel Michael McCoy (the Pinecastle Host Wing Commander). Col McCoy was killed on 9 October 1957 in the crash of a B-47 Stratojet, which suffered wing failure northwest of downtown Orlando.
McCoy AFB was Orlando’s biggest employer and economic backbone prior to the opening of Walt Disney World in 1971.
In 1962 the Air Force agreed to allow the City of Orlando to use the eastern of its 2 runways as a joint-use field. This was necessitated by the move to commercial jets that required longer runways than were available elsewhere in Central Florida. This new commercial airport was called the Orlando-McCoy Jetport. With the opening of Walt Disney World in 1971, more expansion and bigger terminals were required and the Air Force allowed this expansion (the 2 terminals you see today) to the east of the runways.
In early 1975 the parts on McCoy AFB that were not transferred to the Navy or Army were transferred to the City of Orlando for a dollar. In 1976 the airport was renamed Orlando International Airport.
Expansion continues today with a new third terminal under construction as well as expanded parking.
The Air Force retains a reversal clause to the airport that would enable the Air Force to retake control of the airport in the future if national security requirements ever required it.
The Navy in Orlando – NTC Orlando
In 1946 airfield at Orlando Army Air Base was released back to the City of Orlando, while the military support facilities north and northeast of the airport remained under U.S. Army Air Forces control as a non-flying administrative and technical training installation which continued to be named Orlando Army Air Base, then upon transfer to the Air Force, Orlando Air Force Base.
In 1961 the airport was renamed Herndon Airport after former Orlando city engineer “Pat” Herndon. Then in 1982 the name again changed to Orlando Executive Airport, and finally in 1998 to Executive Airport. The airport sat on the south side of State Route 50 the base was on the north side.
In 1968, Orlando AFB was transferred to the United States Navy and renamed Naval Training Center Orlando.
The 1993 Base Realignment and Closure Commission directed that NTC Orlando be closed no later than 1 October 1999.
The Navy in Orlando – NTC Annex
Between 1974 and 1975 significant portions of the McCoy AFB base facilities were transferred to the United States Navy during the Air Force Base closure. These included: base housing, base exchange, commissary, medical clinic, base chapel, and morale, welfare and recreation (MWR) facilities. These facilities became the Naval Training Center Orlando McCoy Annex.
McCoy Annex operated until Naval Training Center Orlando’s closure in late 1999.
With the closure of NTC Orlando in late 1999, The only military activities remaining at the former McCoy AFB today are units of the Reserve components of the United States Armed Forces. The last remnant of NTC Orlando is the Naval Support Activity Orlando still owns land and buildings inside the Central Florida Research Park.
The Orlando Navy Exchange
The Navy Exchange is all that remains today of these 2 military installations that changed so much over the years.
The Exchange stays open due to the continued presence of the Naval Support Activity Orlando, a large National Guard & Reserve Component presence, and the military retiree population in the Orlando/Central Florida area that makes the facility financially self-sustaining.
Be sure to share any questions or comments in the Comment Section below!