- Disney's US Parks and Cruise Line Closed! Plus DoD Travel Ban!
- When Will Disney's Theme Parks Reopen?
- Disney Armed Forces Salute Ticket Refunds
Disney has announced that their US parks, Hotels, Cruise Line, Aulani, and Adventures by Disney are closed due to the current health concerns.
(Updated 27 March, will continue to update as needed)
Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort are Closed Until Further Notice!
3/15 – Reservation fees change fees waived for check ins through 30 June!
3/16 – Reports of some Base Ticket Offices giving Disney Armed Forces Salute Ticket refunds, others saying NO! WDW Resort Hotels Closing, Disney Springs & Downtown Disney Closures.
3/17 – Shades of Green’s website online booking tool is showing today through 15 April as “Restricted Dates” with Xs over them and not bookable. Reports of Local Area Leave distances being modified.
3/17 #2 – Disney has no official Disney Armed Forces Salute Ticket refund or extension policy! (see Implications below).
3/18 – Shades of Green has officially closed through 15 April.
3/19 – Shades of Green Ticket Office is closed along with the rest of the resort. At this time they are not processing ticket refund requests and ask that you contact them once they reopen.
3/21 – Walt Disney World Golf Remains Open.
3/22 – Disney’s Aulani to close 24 – 31 March
3/26 – Shades of Green closure extended to mid-May
3/27 – Closure for Disney’s Resorts has changed from a specific date to “Until Further Notice.” Cast Members will be only paid until 18 April. When they do reopen, staffing will be at 2008 Recession Levels!
Update 3/27 – Disney has posted on their Disneyland Update page that there is no change whatsoever to the 2020 Disney Armed Forces Salute Ticket expiration policy!!!
3/28 – Aulani closed until further notice.
3/29 – Walt Disney World is now accepting reservations starting 1 June 2020.
3/30 – Aulani accepting bookings for 1 June 2020.
- Theme parks closed as of 13 March, currently scheduled to stay closed through 31 March 2020
- Disneyland Hotels closed as well
- Downtown Disney – Disney owned locations Closed March 16 – 31
Walt Disney World
- Theme Parks will close at the end of the day on 15 March, currently scheduled to stay closed indefinitely
- Water Parks closed indefinitely
- Disney Owned Resort Hotels closed indefinitely, but Resort reservations open on 1 June.
- Disney’s Vero Beach Resort closed indefinitely
- Disney Springs – Disney owned locations closed indefinitely
- Disney Mini-Golf closed indefinitely
- Disney Golf remains open
- Shades of Green closed through 14 May
- After Hours Party tickets purchased for dates through the end of the closure will be refunded
Shades of Green has waived cancellation fees: “In an effort to assist guests with making alternative arrangements, the AFRCs are waiving individual cancellation and have extended modification waivers for hotel stays through April 30, 2020. If your reservation is within the next 10 days and you need to modify or change your reservation, please email the reservation office at [email protected]”
Disney Cruise Line
- Suspending all new departures beginning 14 March 2020, through the end of the month
March 28-April 2
March 29-April 5
March 30- April 3
March 29-April 4
Adventures by Disney
- Suspending all new departures beginning 14 March 2020, through the end of the month
- Closed until 30 May
- Accepting bookings for 1 June
- US Stores Closed
Disney has currently stated that all will resume operations 1 April.
Disney has updated their cancellation policies to waive their $50 change fee for check ins through 3o June. But guests would be responsible for any potential higher rates when changing dates, and Disney doesn’t care about any airline or third party charges you may incur.
However, this closure has the potential to put some military members who had planned to travel between now and 11 May 2020 in a potentially very bad situation regarding their Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets! More on this below
Department of Defense Travel Ban
To compound the problem, starting 13 March the DoD has instituted a US travel ban for military, civilians, contractors, and families.
This memorandum applies to all DoD military and civilian personnel and their families assigned to DoD installations, facilities, and surrounding areas in the United States and its territories. All DoD military personnel will stop movement while this memorandum is in effect. (This means no TDYs, PCSs, or military leave outside the local area)
In addition, DoD civilian personnel and DoD family members, whose transportation is government-funded, will also stop movement. This policy applies to Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and Temporary Duty.
- Active Military (Guard & Reserve On Duty) – No TDY, PCS, Leave out of the local area
- DOD Civilians, Contractors – No TDY
- Military dependents – No PCS
Not Affected for Disney Travel:
- Active Military (Guard & Reserve On Duty) living within the Orlando local area (most of Florida and into George) or the Los Angeles local area
- DOD Civilians, Contractors off duty (on leave)
- Military dependents traveling without their member
Reports have come in about the allowable distance for Local Leave being modified to essentially limit you to your home area versus the usual several hundred mile or 8 hour return time.
At my DoD Civilian job yesterday I was told leadership said that civilian leaves were limited to the local area as well. When I asked how they could legally do that I was told, “well, we’ll see.” The DoD policy does not state this and I’m sure that it’s not legal, but probably wise!
The Implications of All This
Disney’s closure is now currently indefinite!
The DoD travel policy prevents active duty members from taking leave outside their local area through 11 May!
Shades of Green is closed through 14 May.
Disney is currently allowing Resort reservation cancellations and reschedules without a fee for arrival dates through 3o June.
The big issue now for many is their Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets!
Disney has refused to officially address this issue! I have contacted them numerous times about it.
Military families who have already purchased their non-refundable Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets for trips through 11 May, who will not be able to reschedule to other dates in 2020 due to military schedules could potentially be stuck with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of tickets that they cannot use, as the Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets expire on 18 Dec for Disneyland and 19 December for Disney World and they are Non-Refundable.
Unfortunately Disney has decided to leave this issue up to your local Base Ticket Office, which is closed!!!
Disney advises you to return tickets that you cannot use due to your military schedule to your Ticket Office. When you are told that the tickets are non-refundable Disney recommends asking again.
My usual recommendation is that you try to escalate your issue politely, ask them to check with their supervisor, or regional office and to definitely get Disney Military Sales involved. This is the Disney department that deals with the MWR system. You could even try to get the Commander of the military unit that oversees your Ticket Office involved if needed.
If all else fails Disney says to call their Reservation Number at 407-939-5277 to ask for assistance.
After Hours Parties after 31 March will also be an issue for the military community due to the DoD Travel Ban.
Here are some links to help with Planning:
- The 2020 Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Disney Military Tickets – Your 2020 Start to Finish Guide
- Military Disney Tips Guidebook Sale
Best of luck, Steve
p.s. Please share your predicament or successes in the comments section below so that Disney will see the issue!
See our other “Closure” Posts:
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused?
See our great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
Learn about the Disney Armed Forces Salute the best military discount that there is for Disney.
See our Topic Overview Pages:
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!