Special Info for these Crazy Times:
News for 2021:
- Disneyland Finally Scheduled to Reopen
- Planning and Executing Your Walt Disney World Vacation During These Trying Times
- 2021 Walt Disney World Armed Forces Salute Ticket Announcement
- Using Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets in 2021
- Using the Walt Disney World Theme Park Reservation System
- Park Hopping Returns to Walt Disney World Starting in 2021
Everything is Different at WDW since it Reopened. See Our Trip Reports:
- 2022 Disney Armed Forces Salute Timeline
- Our Return to Walt Disney World (Aug/Sep 2020)
- Our Second Trip Back to Walt Disney World (Nov 2020)
- Our Third Trip Back to Walt Disney World (Jan 2021)
Disney’s Armed Forces Salute is a fantastic discount available to military members and retirees. This discount includes both ticket discounts and room discounts.
Here are the Top Ten Things that you need to know about the Military Discounted Tickets with this offer.
(Updated 6 February 2021)
Note to non-retired veterans; you do not qualify for the Disney Armed Forces Salute, however there are Disney Veteran Discounts that you do qualify for.
See the companion post about Military Discounted Rooms here: Top Ten Things You Need To Know About Disney’s Armed Forces Salute Military Room Discounts and the full details page about the Disney Armed Forces Salute.
1. The Armed Forces Salute is a Temporary Offer
The Armed Forces Salute is a relatively recent innovation by the Walt Disney Company. The first version of the Salute was first offered in 2002 as a partial of the year, during the travel industry downturn after 9/11. It ended once people started traveling again in bigger numbers later that year.
Military members then had to again be satisfied with the slight Regular Military Discount on Disney Tickets that had always been available through Military Base Ticket Offices (and still are).
The Disney Armed Forces Salute returned again in January 2009 as the housing crash/economic downturn came into full swing and the general public reduced their vacation spending. The Salute offers have been renewed, on a year to year basis, since then with a couple of notable breaks.
So if you are considering a Disney vacation within the next couple of years keep in mind that we never know if the Salute will be renewed again or not.
2021 is a little odd in that 2020 Salute Ticket use period was extended into 2021. And the purchase period for 2020 Salute Tickets was extended briefly with the caveat that these tickets would count against any 2021 Ticket limit. Also Disneyland has not reopened yet, so all info in this post is for Walt Disney World.
The 2020 Salute Ticket Offer started on 1 January and was scheduled to run through 18 December 2020, but the usage period for 2020 tickets has been extended through 26 September 2021. Any 2020 Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets that you have are valid for use through then.
The 2021 Salute Ticket Offer starts on 15 February 2021 and runs through 17 December 2021.
One ticket during each purchase period must be for the use of the member or spouse, the rest can be used by anyone else (family or friends).
2. What Type of Tickets are available for the Armed Forces Salute?
There are several different Disney Theme Park Tickets available through the Armed Forces Salute for Walt Disney World and Disneyland.
For Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida 4-day, 5-day, and 6-day tickets are available. The 6-day are 2020 only.
They come in two different versions.
- Park Hopper Option
- Park Hopper Plus Option
3. What are these Options?
The Park Hopper Option allows you to visit multiple Disney theme parks on the same day. You can start your day at one park then switch to another (as many times as you want), or even take a break in between.
The Park Hopper Plus Option allows the number of Plus entrances equal to the number of days on the ticket (so a 4-day ticket has 4 Plus entrances). These Plus entrances are for the following Walt Disney World entertainment venues:
- The Water Parks: Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach
- General admission into the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- 9 Holes of Golf at Disney’s Oak Trail 9-Hole Golf Course
- One round of golf a the Mini-Golf Courses: Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf Course & Disney’s Winter Summerland (prior to 4pm)
Read more about the Park Hopper Plus Options
These Plus entrances are separate from the theme park admissions on your ticket. You may use these Plus entrances on the same day or different days than your theme park admissions. You may use one or more Plus entrance per day (same day returns to the same water park does not deduct another entrance).
4. What Dates are the Armed Forces Salute Tickets available for use?
As I mentioned above the are 2 different use periods depending on if you purchased 2020 or 2021 Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets.
- 2020 Salute Tickets Now through 26 September 2021
- 2021 Salute Tickets 15 February through 17 December 2021
Normally Disney has what they call blockout dates, dates on which these tickets are not allowed to be used. There are no Blockout dates during 2021.
5. Where can I purchase the Armed Forces Salute Tickets?
Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets can be purchased several places:
- Your Local Base MWR Ticket Office
- Shades of Green, the Military Owned and Operated Resort on Disney World property
- The Orlando ITT
- Long distance from Camp Pendleton or Shades of Green as well as other locations with a FedEx delivery fee added
- Disney Theme Park Ticket and Guest Relations locations
- Disneyland Resort Hotel’s Front Desks (for registered guests only)
Tickets that are purchased at Non-Disney locations (except Shades of Green) will need to be activated at a Disney Park prior to their use for entry.
If you have purchased your tickets elsewhere (except Shades of Green) or plan to purchase your tickets at a Disney location all members of the party must be present, as the tickets will be activated at that time and all must be present for this process.
A note on sales tax: There is no sales tax charged at military resellers or Disneyland, but you will pay sales tax at any Walt Disney World location.
You cannot buy these tickets online or via phone from Disney, through your travel agent, at Walt Disney World Resorts, or from the Disney Store.
6. How many Armed Forces Salute Tickets can I purchase?
Qualified individuals could purchase up to a maximum of 6 2020 Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets could have been purchased on or prior to 18 December 2020 and these can be used through 26 September 2021.
Qualified individuals may purchase up to a maximum of 6 2020 and or 2021 Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets can be purchased on or after 19 December 2020. The 2020 Salute Tickets can be used through 26 September 2021 and the 2021 Salute Tickets can be used through 17 December 2021.
What if you have more that 6 people in your family?
For families larger than 6, Disney states “Exceptions should be made for immediate families larger than six people.” For example, if a family has five children, Disney will allow all members of the family to purchase Disney Military Promotion Tickets, for Mom, Dad, and the five kids. See this post for more info
One of these tickets must be for the military member or spouse. The other tickets may be for anyone the member wants to purchase them for.
This requires the military member or spouse to physically go to the theme park with their party for the activation process.
Note: Disney Pass Holders do not need to have a Salute ticket for themselves, but one of the 6 tickets is “reserved” for the member and cannot be used by others.
What if the military member can’t go to the Disney Park?
Disney does take into consideration that military spouses might want to take the kids on a Disney vacation while the military member is deployed and they make an allowance for this.
Military spouses are allowed to purchase and activate Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets. The spouse activates the tickets in place of the member.
These Salute Tickets cannot be activated without the member or spouse being part of the party!
NOTE: The Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort offers are totally separate offers. This means that each member is eligible for the number of allowed tickets at each vacation destination during the Salute offer period.
7. How much do the Armed Forces Salute Tickets cost?
Disney World 2020 Armed Forces Salute Prices
- Four-Day Park Hopper Tickets for $265.00
- Four-Day Park Hopper Plus Tickets for $315.00
- Five-Day Park Hopper Tickets for $283.00
- Five-Day Park Hopper Plus Tickets for $333.00
- Six-Day Park Hopper Tickets for $301.00
- Six-Day Park Hopper Plus Tickets for $351.00
Disney World 2021 Armed Forces Salute Prices
- Four-Day Park Hopper Tickets for $296.00
- Four-Day Park Hopper Plus Tickets for $326.00
- Five-Day Park Hopper Tickets for $315.00
- Five-Day Park Hopper Plus Tickets for $345.00
These 2021 prices remain in effect for the 15 February 2021 – 17 December 2021 purchase period
These prices are before to tax. You’ll pay these prices at military sales locations and Disneyland, but tax will be added at Disney World ticket locations.
Some bases use local MWR funds to make the price a few dollars less, while others charge a “service” fee making them a few dollars more.
8. How do I activate the Armed Forces Salute Tickets?
Armed Forces Salute Tickets that were purchased at Non-Disney locations such as Base ITT/ITR offices (except Shades of Green) will need to be activated before you try to use them at a theme park turnstile/tapstyle/touch point for entrance.
You can do this at all Disney theme park ticket booths or at Disney Guest Relations locations.
- Transportation and Ticket Center
- Magic Kingdom Entrance
- Epcot Main Entrance
- Epcot International Gateway Entrance
- Disney Hollywood Studios Main Entrance
- Disney Animal Kingdom Main Entrance
- WDW Water Parks Entrances
- Disney Spring’s New Ticket Center
- Disneyland Ticket Booths in the Esplanade between the theme parks
All members of the party will need to be present at the time of activation, including either the military member or their spouse who will be activating the tickets.
Why does Disney require the activation process and that everyone be there? They do this to prevent giving them to those who are not eligible or scalping of these half price tickets…
Tickets purchased at Shades of Green are Pre-Activated and do not require this process!
9. Are there any restrictions on how the Armed Forces Salute Tickets can be used?
Besides any Blockout dates and the expiration date there are no restrictions.
You can use all the days of your tickets in a row, sporadically over a longer vacation stay, or here and there throughout the year.
The same applies to the Plus visits, you have until the end of the Salute Offer Period to use them all up.
10. What if I need more days than the Armed Forces Salute Tickets offer?
In some cases you may want to spend more days touring the Disney parks than are available on the Armed Forces Salute Tickets.
At Disney World, one idea is to opt for the Plus Option. The Plus visits can be used on non-park days to fill out a longer stay.
Use back-to-bask Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets if you have a small party. One to three people can use 2 or more Salute tickets each for a longer stay
Another option is to buy tickets for the additional days on top of your Armed Forces Salute Tickets. But you should be very careful doing this, depending on the options you select for your regular Military Discounted Disney tickets it becomes more costly to add a second ticket versus just opting for the number of days that you need using the regular military discount instead of the Armed Forces Salute.
11. A Bonus Question – Can I use FastPass Plus, Magic Bands, MaxPass, and the Disneyland app with my Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets?
Walt Disney World’s Technology is available to those who use military tickets: Disney’s Armed Forces Salute, Regular Military Discounted Magic Your Way tickets, and Shades of Green Stars and Stripes Passes.
- Those staying at a Disney resort (including Shades of Green, the Swan & Dolphin, and Disney Springs Resorts) may make FastPass Plus reservations 60 days prior to check in
- Others may do so 30 days prior to the desired FastPass Plus date
What about Magic Bands?
All Disney Guests now need to purchase their Magic Bands if they want to use them.
See our WDW Tech Pages for more info: My Magic Plus – What all this New Disney Technology?
Disneyland’s Technology is also available to those who use military tickets: Disney’s Armed Forces Salute and Regular Military Discounted Disneyland tickets.
Max Pass may be added to military tickets for the same fee the general public pays, $15 per ticket, per day. Military tickets may also be linked to your Disneyland smart phone app so that you may use your phone as your theme park ticket.
So there you have it
The ten top things that you need to know about Disney’s Armed Forces Salute Tickets, plus one bonus item.
Many of the above items are questions that I’m often asked via email, in site comments, and on facebook.
If you have more questions consider buying my Disney World Guide Book for Military Families, my Disneyland Guide Book for Military Families reading the full Disney Armed Forces Salute Information Page, the Disney Armed Forces Salute FAQ, or checking out our FAQ Friday Posts.
Are there any other questions that you have? Leave them in a comments section below!
- Also See: Top Ten Things You Need To Know About Disney’s Armed Forces Salute Military Room Discounts
Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? Get Our Email Newsletter
Read about the Temporary Changes to Disney World during their Post-Lockdown Re-OpeningSee Our Great Disney Discount and Planning Info:
- Disney Veteran & Military Discount Eligibility Guide
- The Military Family’s Walt Disney World Comprehensive Vacation Planning and Preparation Guide
- Military Disney Tips Disney Packing Checklist
- Disney Military Tickets – Your Start to Finish Guide
- Resorts/Hotel Overview Page
- Dining Overview Page
- Transportation Overview Page
- Technology Overview Page
- Shades of Green, WDW’s Military Only Resort
Military Disney Tips' Recommended Disney Travel Agent
Ears of Experience Disney Only Travel Agency. Military family owned and operated! They know all the ins and outs of Disney military discounts!